Sunday, February 20, 2011

Futbol in Central America

Wow. This is has been a crazy week. I’ve slept more in barns and hotels than my own bed. These are stories for the future though. Tonight, I thought I’d give everyone a little taste of what Central American soccer is like.

Last Saturday, Brenda, Emelie, Sam, and I head off to Estadio Mario Camposeco to take in a Xelaju MC soccer game. Xelaju played their rivals from Guatemala City, Comunicaciones. Since beer isn't sold in the stadium, we decide to pregame a little in the surrounding streets. We find what I think was about 32 ounce beers that costs a whole $2.50 American. Insane. Below, Brenda, Sam, and I toast to the good life.




Los Superchivos, as Xelaju is called, tied the game on a magnificent goal in the closing minutes. Final score: 2-2.

However, the game was not the point. The experience around the game is what made this night. Now, of all the soccer I’ve seen around the world, the Seattle Sounders give fans the best experience hands down. But this game was a close second. While the stadium is small (about 8000 “seats”… many people sit in aisles, on walls, etc.) the crowd is energetic, lively, and allowed to do basically whatever they want. The supporters section shoots off fireworks (BIG fireworks, not just smoke bombs) during play and opposing fans are kept in a police guarded cage. When the game’s officials leave the field, they have a swat team protecting them. The home fans sit on top of the barbed fence, swearing and throwing anything they can get their hands on at the away team.

The night was fantastic fun and I look forward to returning to many more games later this season. For now, I will leave you with a video of the opening kickoff fireworks.

No comments:

Post a Comment