Monday, July 18, 2011

Field Work - La Maquina

Previously, I was able to give a quick overview of two of the communities (Willywood and Conrado) that I work in. Since my time here is coming to an end, I wanted to introduce you readers to the other area I've spent a ton of time in over the past 6 months - La Maquina.

La Maquina is more of an area than a community, made up of tiny little 'city' centers, but I generally just use the name as an umbrella name for the whole region. Unlike Willywood and Conrado, the farmers of La Maquina are more spread out, less centered around a community and more grouped into family 'complexes' in a way. The other less obvious and yet important (at least to us Xelans) difference is the laid-back lifestyle of La Maquina. This could be influenced by the family we stay with but for me, an afternoon spent in a hammock out of the sun is the only way to spend a 98 degree day.

The family we stay with has been amazing. The head of the family, Isaias, is a 30 something year old who runs the fields with the help of his brothers and puts food on the table, that is cooked by his sisters. How many siblings he has, I will never know, but his kind, toothless laugh has always made me feel welcome, even if he was making fun of my terrible Spanish.

Isiais is constantly trying new farming methods, attempting to make his land both more profitable and more sustainable. Like most farmers in La Maquina, he is completely content with living a simple lifestyle, he just wants his land to be usable for his children and nephews. By working with Semilla Nueva, he believes this is possible.

For me, I have loved every family that I work with. However, Isaias and his siblings have made my time down here special and I wish I had had a chance to thank them before I left. However, I will always have a special place in my heart for La Maquina and its lazy afternoon hammocks.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings. :)

    We just launched Tacoma bookoo - a massive online yard sale for Tacoma and surrounding areas. Thousands of people buying and selling used stuff from each other, in a family-friendly way. :) Here's the website:

    http://tacoma.bookoo.com/

    We're getting the word out to some local bloggers, and would like to send you a free bookoo t-shirt (no strings attached!). If you would like a free t-shirt, will you send me an email at kellin@bookoo.com with your address and shirt size? I'll get it out to you right away.

    Thanks!
    Kellin

    ReplyDelete