Wednesday, July 6, 2011

"Sun City Picture House": What I Saw In Haiti



I've linked to shorter clips from this film before but this is the long version that has much more to it. It's amazing to watch this clip and say 'yeah, I saw this, I was there,' etc. There are quite a few things and people that I recognize but the main part that I wanted to point out is the morgue. For those of you who have read my blog since my trip to Haiti, you'll know that I spent a day working in a morgue that really was completely mentally and emotionally draining. It was something that I was glad I did but I don't think I could do it again. I didn't take pictures so I had to describe with my words exactly what that day was like.


When I first started watching this trailer and it got to the 30 second mark with Raphael pulling on the plastic gloves, I know exactly what was coming next. He was there that day I went out to the hospital, just as he is every week, smoking a cigar, drinking rum, and carrying the dead to a proper resting place. As weird as it was to see these scenes, I'm glad that this weekly ritual made it into the film.


I cannot wait to see this documentary. Just watching this 2 minute trailer today really took my mind back to what I saw in Haiti and, yeah, I kind of miss it. I only hope to return one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment