Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Malaria Will be the End of Me


Arriving to the sunset in Miami, we took off a few hours later to arrive in Port-au-Prince, after a long battle with my malaria pills for the last three days. Always fun - taking pills to prevent you from being sick that make you sick. I don't get it. That is beside the point because we are here now. While I have yet to fully taste, see, and appreciate what this country has to offer, I am struck by just the extremes it has to offer. On one hand, I can promise I'll never seem more intense poverty the rest of my life. However, the beauty of the sunset and the ocean surroundings are just magnificent, pictures can't do them justice. The ride from the airport was intense. Like Paris, it boggles my mind that drivers in other countries can have so little regard for laws, pedestrians, or just general safety. I do marvel at their driving skills, which are far superior to any American's.

Rachel and I spent most of the day exploring the campus of NPH, playing with the abandoned children at the hospital. While I did get peed on, these kids are totally adorable and I kinda wanted to steal Jonackson Jean. I was in awe of my hands. And my Beanie Baby I brought him.



I was so jetlagged that I napped the rest of the day. I did mannage to wake up at 5, see a lizard run across the floor of the facility we're staying at, to which I just assumed I was hallucinating again from the malaria. I think the little guy was real though. I managed to get up in time to share a sunset and homemade Bailey's (made by a volunteering nun) with some of the other staff. I now look forward to a sweaty night, battling mosquitos and little lizards.

No comments:

Post a Comment