Monday, January 3, 2011

And Down the Mountain We Went...

This morning... oh this morning hurt. Last night started out wonderfully - a picnic with some of the other volunteers overlooking the valley, beer bought from what I think was a bar/ barber shop/ abandoned quake wreckage, and a good conversation about ghosts and voodoo. But this turned into Rachel and I drinking WAY too much gin and juice with our new friend Eddie. Hence the painful morning. We did manage to get up at 5:30am and hiked up to the top of the mountian (all uphill and about 2.5 miles) which gave us a pretty surreal view. After heading down to the orphanage, we took a nap and then caught a truck back to Port-au-Prince. I got a video of the bumpy truck ride but as I've come to find out, computers and internet in third world countries are a bit on the technological slow side. So no videos or pics tonight.

Upon arrival to Port-au-Prince, we strolled over to the abandoned babies room at the hospital to have some tea with the little girls. My favorite, Jonackson, was sleepy so it gave me time to hangout with the other kids that were left there. I definately improved my baby skills by rocking an upset infant to sleep (yes ladies. I cook too. And I'm single).

On the walk back to our main residence, we happened across Johnnie, Molly Hightower's Haitian man-friend. He is super nice and took us around part of the rest of NPH that we hadn't gotten to visit yet. He introduced us to some of his friends who are going to take us out to city in the morning. Should be an adventure.

Overall, I know I'm happy to be back to the city. A bit too much relaxation up on the mountain had started to lead to some boredom and too much gin.

* * * * *
Sidenote: yes, I'm still taking my malaria pills. No, I'm not feeling too sick anymore. Yes, I'm still having crazy dreams. I attribute that to the voodoo down here. Yes, I miss pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment