Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Watering Cite Soleil

As promised, photos from today's excursion. I will say this: the struggle that Haitian people go through everyday is truly amazing. Just spending one day delivering water to families who don't have access to it any other way makes me appreciate the ability to walk from my couch to the kitchen, turn on the tap, and have essentially an endless supply of clean, drinkable water. Yet, despite their constant battle for this basic human right, Haitians manage to find joy in everyday. They are generally happy and friendly people. During my time, I have yet to feel unwelcome or unwanted. At the water truck today, we saw people in a situation that for any American would have been embarrassing to the point of anger or annoyance with a photographer's presence. But not here. Every Haitian today either approached me, wanting to be photographed or gladly allowed me to document their predicament. Today was an amazing, eye-opening experience that I only hope I am able to show through some of my photographs.


Here is Cite Soleil. This is litterally a river completely covered with garbage. There is water underneath that trash.

One of the many little kids that wanted to photographed. After this picture she walked off with a full 5 gallon bucket on top of her head. Intense strength.


The line formed quickly when they saw our truck pull up.


Slums.

Our rastafarian tour guide.

My token "feel the pain of this young boy" picture. You're welcome National Geographic.

Our bucket line down the street of Cite Soleil.
One of the many "Hey you!" kids.

Above what seems like a whole country of tent cities.

When there are no jobs, sometimes the best thing to do is nap under a tree.

Filling up the water trucks after delivering to the slums.

1 comment: