Sunday, January 2, 2011

Doug's First Orphanage and Other Stories...


Greetings from the NPH orphanage in Kenscoff Haiti and Happy New Year! The interent (and electricity for that matter) has been sparce and hard to keep working. But the last 3 days have been amazingly relaxing and entertaining. After leaving Port-au-Prince, we traveled for nearly two hours up the mountain to the orphanage. The goat (see previous post) made the bumpy trip with us as well, in a less than living state. This did not please Rachel. I told her it was nothing more than sharing a truck ride with a meat market. We stopped halfway up the mountain at a market so we could stock up on New Years Eve snacks and drinks. While we forgot to take pictures of our purchase, a box of wine, 5 500ml bottles of rum, 2 beers, and some snacks cost us all of 15 american dollars. Woot cheapness! Above is the view from where we are staying. It overlooks the valley and is quite breathtaking. Its kind of like a mini resort on the campus of the orphange.

On the first day here, Rachel found her godson Kervenson (or as I like to call him 'Kermit' or 'Svenson'). He is really shy but every once in awhile he flashes a smile.


Rachel also hunted down Jeff, her parents godson. Kermit and Jeff (above left to right) really seemed to enjoy the gifts and warmed up to Rachel and I quickly. I wandered off and took in a soccer game. Soccer games are a regular happening and these kids are fantastic (you hear that Sounders FC? Come scout in Haiti...).


Above is the sloped dirt field that they use with the tarp goals that work really well. There are two other concrete fields that the kids use, for a total of three fields on the campus.


Joseph (above) is tiny but schooled me in a little keep away (video to come later). I called him 'Messi' but I think he thinks I'm calling him 'Thank You' everytime I see him.

Yesterday we went on a hike with Jeff and Kervenson up the mountain outside the gates. Both grew tired and weary with Rachel's enthusiasm (as did I) and we headed back down for some Cokes at the local ''bar.''


We have spent the majority of our time hiking, playing with the kids, and talking to the volunteers. I have grown attached to one kid who I hope to maybe sponser as a godparent if he doesn't already have one. We shall see. I know that the most difficult work is still ahead of us but so far I personally have found the last five days rewarding and eye-opening. I will leave you with a picture of the average Haitian - hardworking, resourceful, and friendly. Hope everyone is having an amazing New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment